Sunday, January 10, 2010

Silence.

John 10:27
"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."


In a few weeks we, as a Challenge Staff, are going to challenge our students to be silent.
The extent of this depends on the person.

For most it will look like this:
no texting.
no facebook.
no MUSIC.
no TV/Movies.
no instant messaging.
no youtube.
no blogging.
+/- etc.

Since we are challenging our students, we decided to first take on this challenge. It begins now, January 10th and will end on the 17th.
One week.
Quieting of our world.

What is the purpose?
learning to listen to God
replacing all the noise of our everyday lives with active listening.
pursuing His voice over the many other voices that fill our each day.


"personally..."
Personally, I am both excited and terrified for this week. Excited because it has come at a perfect time. There are many things I need to be talking with God about and many things I need to be listening to. I can't wait to see what is revealed to me this week. Also, I get annoyed with technology, so a break from it is always good.
Terrified because I am addicted to music. I will have to do a good job of actively NOT turning on the TV or radio for background noise. It will be really hard for me to NOT check facebook all the time. All these things combined will be really hard to avoid - but the cost is WORTH the reward. Actively pursuing Jesus this week will be so rewarding and so sweet.

As we were meeting today about our "limitations" for the week we began to laugh at each other - we all came up with excuses of why this week will be hard, and we know that students will do the same; despite the excuses, or valid reasons, we are doing it and will be able to stand before our students with great testimony of how loud our God can be if we just take the time to LISTEN.

Peace out blogspot :)

Psalm 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones